31 January 2009

Canvas Prints

Prints on canvas are offered through the website and directly from me. There are two main differences between what I sell at art shows (or by email order) and what you would get through a website order.

  1. Canvas prints ordered through the website are produced by a reputable lab, not by the photographer. What is offered when you order through the website are gallery wrapped prints, where the canvas is stretched around an internal frame and attached to the back. This is a nice presentation. However, out of necessity, some of the image gets wrapped around the frame. In many cases it will look perfectly okay. With other images, there are elements in the picture (the top of a tightly framed lighthouse, for example) that would look horrible if wrapped. When you order a canvas print directly from me, I wrap only a small part of the image, attach it to the side of the internal frame and use a floating frame around the edge. This personal attention to detail ensures that you are able to view the full image. This also tends to differentiate my work from that of others.

  2. Canvas prints ordered through the web are considerably more expensive. It is not because the folks who fulfill the web orders are trying to rip you off. My canvas prints are more affordable because I have the equipment to print my own images and can pass the substantial savings on to you. The down side is that you have to e-mail the order to me and it may take a little longer to get it to you, depending on my schedule. However, I check my e-mail every day and will respond to your request as soon as possible.


Canvas Prints Ordered Through Me


Canvas prints ordered through me personally are printed with an Epson Pro-Graphics printer using archival inks. The canvas is then spray coated with a clear water based varnish, which protects the image and increases the longevity of the print. Life expectancy is rated similar to the traditional photographic prints.

I currently use two framing presentations, a floating frame, and a shadow box presentation. In both cases the prints are stretched over and stapled to a white wood frame.

Floating Frame
For the largest pieces, a floating frame of about ¼ inch thick is attached to the sides to give the piece a finished look.


Shadow Box Frame
I also offer the option of a rustic oak frame in a shadow box presentation. These frames are handmade and finished in a blue stain, giving each frame a Cape Cod look.